Tara Renton – Past President
Tara Renton (Specialist in Oral Surgery) is a dentist with a particular interest in trigeminal nerve injuries and pain. She completed her dentistry at Guys (1984), Oral and Maxillofacial surgical training in Melbourne (1991), undertook a PhD in Trigeminal Nerve injury at KCL (1999-2003) and senior lectureship at QMUL (2003-6). Over the past 10 years at KCL Tara has developed;
- Education programmes
- UG teaching of dental students modernising the Oral Surgical teaching with minimal access approach and modern LA techniques.
- Academic oral surgery training programme.
- Supervised 8 PhDs
- In collaboration with Imperial College, UCL, Oxford University, Centre neuroscience imaging centre IOPPN, Wolfson Institute Tara has established an international leading programme of trigeminal nerve injury and orofacial pain research publishing over 200 peer reviewed articles and grants from MRC, Grunenthal, Pfizer, Brit Pain Society.
- Tara leads the Kings Health Partners Orofacial Pain Service seeing patients involving oral surgery and medicine, neurology, neurosurgery, ENT, pain management, clinical psychology and liaison psychiatry. Tara has set up two patient facing websites first a patient lead initiative resulted in the development of the org.uk a website advising both patients and clinicians in preventing and managing iatrogenic nerve injury in relation to dentistry and a website for patients with chronic trigeminal pain (www.orofacialpain.co.uk).
- Policy awards
- Tara Lead patient safety for dentistry Chair for tool kit in prevention wrong site surgery in dentistry
- Chair M3M parameter of care guidance for FDS RCS
- Awarded Honorary AAOMS fellowship 2017
- Noel Martin visiting Chair Sydney University 2018-
- Steve Graff Radford Award American Headache Society 2020
Tara is associate editor for Journal Orofacial pain and headache, she is on the Dental Update and British Society for Dental Hygienists and Therapist Editorial Boards, she has co-edited the BDA clinical manuals for Oral Surgery Books I and II and editor of Warman OFP book. Tara was an elected member of the RCS England FDS Board, the RCS Eng 2010-2019, member of the Oral Surgery SAC and Dental Senate. She is an invited member National Advisory Board for human factors in dentistry, she is OS SAC chair and she is a Past President of the British Association Oral Surgery. Tara has been an invited external consultant for 3M.